- Qur’an (aka Koran).
- Hadith – writings, acts, etc., of Muhammad.
- Sharia Law.
5 things they believe
- The world will one day be Islamic.
- One ‘God’, Allah, and his prophet, Muhammad.
- Anyone who is not a Muslim, is an infidel.
- God has no Son – Jesus (‘Isa’) was just a prophet.
- The Holy Bible (‘Injil’) has been corrupted.
5 typical characteristics
- Not really allowed or encouraged to study their books for themselves, so most Muslims don’t know or understand their own religion.
- They ask many questions (usually things they have heard taught by their ‘Imam’ – leader) in defence of their religion, but they won’t really actively listen to answers.
- Men and women can look very ‘westernised’ – the men would usually have a beard, and the women may wear a head covering.
- You would not normally find a Muslim down the pub drinking, or smoking cigarettes.
- They seem to be more passionate about defending Muhammad rather than Allah.
5 typical responses
- Anger – they don’t like their beliefs being questioned, and can get very angry.
- Impatience – they don’t tend to listen carefully or genuinely when you try to answer their questions.
- Pride – it’s all about works in their religion.
- Stubbornness – they will not budge from their spiritual position even if you clearly show them errors and contradictions in their books.
- Dishonesty – they say that the Bible has been corrupted, but cannot ever give any examples of when in history, and where in the Bible.
7 verses (or combinations) to use
NOTE: The underlines have been added as suggested words to emphasise within the verse, but go as the Lord leads you!
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you … But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you … But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: – John 14:16-17, 26, 15:26
NOTE: Muslims believe the Comforter is the prophet Muhammad, but from a simple reading of God’s word we can clearly see the Comforter is the Holy Spirit.
Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead) – Galatians 1:1
NOTE: God the Father raised Jesus from the dead.
Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? But he spake of the temple of his body. – John 2:19-21
NOTE: Jesus raised Himself from the dead.
But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. – Romans 8:11
NOTE: The Holy Spirit raised Jesus from the dead. We can clearly see the Godhead all involved in raising Jesus from the dead.
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. – 1 John 4:1-3
NOTE: Anyone who denies Jesus Christ is an antichrist.
He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. – 1 John 5:10-13
NOTE: If you don’t have Jesus, you don’t have life!
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him … But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence. – John 14:6-7, 3:36
NOTE: This is an exclusive claim, which is inclusive for everyone who comes to God in true repentance. There is NO WAY to God and Heaven without the Lord Jesus Christ.
- They believe that if they are good enough (performing all the Islamic rituals for example), then Allah MAY show mercy on them when they die, and allow then into heaven.
- They are not encouraged to make friends with infidels, particularly the Jew and Christian.
- Allah wants us to sin.
- They believe that the Qur’an is god’s final word for man.
- Show them love, as this is something that they are not used to receiving.