The challenge is to …
Draw, paint, or sketch two pictures – one graphically illustrating a favourite Bible verse of yours, and the other graphically illustrating your love for our Lord Jesus Christ.
What will I need to complete this challenge?
- King James Bible.
- Some art pencils, pens, pastels, watercolours, or whatever you plan to use.
- A sketchbook of some sorts; whatever size you like, e.g. A5, A4, A3, etc.
- Notebook to keep track of your progress and to jot down all the thoughts, verses, etc., that come into your mind as you are doing the challenge.
How much time should I allocate?
Difficult to calculate as each of you will spend more or less time on your art, depending on how detailed you get. I would allocate perhaps 15-30mins per day.
How difficult is this challenge?
Everyone can draw something! The task itself is not difficult, BUT, your ‘battle’ with your ‘internal editor’ will be a challenge.
What other advice do you have for me?
- JUST DRAW! Don’t start thinking that this challenge is not for you as you “don’t know how to draw”. Everyone can draw something! And after all, this is why they are called ‘challenges’.
- If you can, go outside and draw – not in a busy place with people walking around, but in a nice quiet location in a park, or in the countryside somewhere, away from distractions.
- Try different art tools. If you are not enjoying or getting on with pencil, for example, then try pen. If not pen, then try charcoal, and so on. Find what you are comfortable using.
- Think about the size of paper you want to use. Don’t just get or buy any large sketchpad, as you may get discouraged if you don’t fill the page with your illustration.
- You don’t need to illustrate every word that’s mentioned in the verse. If you like, just pick one word or one aspect of the verse to illustrate. Just as long as you are able to remember the whole verse exactly, when you are looking at your finished artwork.
- As with all these challenges, pray to the Lord for help. Ask Him to use your drawing, painting, or sketch as a way of learning and memorising His word, and to relax your soul at the same time.
If you did this challenge, please let us know how you got on, or leave a comment below.