Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. – Psalms 139:23-24
Everyone has selfish attitudes at times; it’s in the very nature of man. All we can do is to try our best to limit the amount of selfishness we show to God, to ourselves, and to others. The aim is to have as little of our self in us as possible, and more of the Holy Spirit of God.
READ: John 3:30; Ephesians 5:18.
Think about your life during the last month. Tick the boxes of those things that you felt, actioned, said, thought, etc. Be honest!
Did you have a secret spirit of pride or an exalted feeling of yourself in view of your success or position?
- I took pride in my training, appearance, or my natural gifts and abilities.
- I entertained a self-reliant, independent spirit.
READ: Proverbs 16:18, 20:6; Romans 12:3; James 4:6-8.
Did you love receiving praise from others?
- I had a secret fondness and desire to be noticed.
- I enjoyed drawing attention to myself in conversation, appearance, or conduct.
READ: John 5:44, 12:42-43; 1 Corinthians 13:4.
Did anger or impatience at others stir within you?
- I had a touchy, sensitive spirit, and desired to throw sharp, heated remarks.
- I resented and retaliated when disapproved of, corrected, or contradicted.
- I had a defensive, vindictive, critical spirit.
READ: Psalms 37:8; Ecclesiastes 7:9; Luke 21:19; James 1:19; Romans 5:3.
Were you more interested in your self-will?
- I was stubborn, and had an unteachable spirit.
- I argued, and had a talkative spirit.
- I was harsh, and used sarcastic expressions.
- I refused to believe I was wrong.
- I criticised and picked flaws at others.
READ: Deuteronomy 1:43; Malachi 2:2; James 3:17; 2 Peter 2:10.
Were you afraid of man and the world?
- I feared man.
- I feared losing worldly, carnal things.
- I had a secret fear of speaking for or being associated with Christ and His word.
- I shrunk from doing my whole duty to those of wealth or position or poor and needy.
- I had a fear of offending someone and driving them away.
- I had a compromising spirit.
READ: 1 Samuel 15:24; Proverbs 29:25; Galatians 2:12; 1 John 4:18.
Did you have a jealous disposition?
- I had secret envy in my heart.
- I had an unpleasant sensation when I heard the prosperity and success of others.
- I spoke of the faults and failings rather that the gifts and virtues of those more talented and appreciated than myself.
READ: Genesis 26:12-16; 1 Samuel 18:8-9; Proverbs 6:34, Proverbs 14:30; Matthew 21:15; Romans 12:9-10.
Did you have a dishonest and deceitful disposition?
- I evaded and covered the truth.
- I covered up my real faults and left a better impression of myself than is true.
- I had false humility.
- I exaggerated and strained the truth.
- I blamed others alone when I knew that I too was to blame.
READ: Psalms 15:2-3; Isaiah 29:13; Jeremiah 17:9; Matthew 23:28; Luke 22:48; Acts 5:2-3; 1 Timothy 4:2.
Did you have unbelief?
- I had a spirit of discouragement in times of pressure and opposition.
- I lacked quietness and confidence in God.
- I lacked faith and trust in God.
- I had a disposition to worry and complain in the midst of pain, poverty, or at the dispensations of divine Providence.
- I had an overanxious feeling whether everything would turn out right.
READ: Isaiah 7:9; Luke 12:28-30; 1 Corinthians 2:14; 2 Corinthians 5:6; Hebrews 11:6; 1 Peter 5:7.
Were you formal and dead?
- I lacked compassion and concern for lost souls.
- I felt dry and indifferent.
- I lacked zeal and power with God.
READ: Matthew 15:14; 2 Timothy 3:5; Revelation 2:4, 3:1.
Were you selfish?
- I loved ease.
- I loved money.
- I loved my own time.
- I valued myself above others.
- I had a secret desire for worldly things and ways.
READ: Luke 12:19-21; 1 Timothy 6:10-11; Amos 6:1-6.